Savannah Black Nurses Association
The inscription outside this historial facility reads:
Chartered by the Georgia General Assembly in 1832, the Infirmary was established "for the relief and protection of afflicted and aged Africans" under the provisions of the last will and testament of Savannah merchant and minister, Thomas F. Williams (1774-1816).
Originally located south of the city, it was moved here in 1838. Its fourteen acres included several single-story buildings and small farm tracts for vegetable gardens. In 1904, the Infirmary became one of the earliest training schools for African-American nurses. In 1975, it became Georgia's first day center for stroke rehabilitation.
Georgia Infirmary currently provides an adult day-care center and partners with agencies such as the Community Cardiovascular Council; LASO, the Latin American Service Organization; the 100 Black Men; the National Black Leadership Initiative on Cancer, and the Savannah Black Nurses Association.
Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses
This was the site of the first hospital in Savannah to train African-American doctors and nurses. Named for Doctors Cornelius and Alice McKane, it began on June 1, 1896, when a small group of African Americans received a charter to operate the McKane Hospital for Women and Children and Training School for Nurses.
The original hospital was a five-room wooden building. Charity Hospital completed this brick structure in 1931, and continued here until 1964. The building was used as a nursing home until 1976 and was rehabilitated for housing in 2002.
The Georgia Infirmary
First African American Hospital
in the United States